June 8 2015

News about future meetings will be posted here.
Piet
Site Admin

June 8 2015

Post by Piet » 01-06-2015 16:46

The next gathering will be on MONDAY June 8!! Starting at its regular time of 20:00. Be sure to read the manifesto in advance, so that we can discuss it.

The manifesto is currently being worked on by Kim. I propose the following:
- Kim e-mails the concept manifesto to the group before Friday night
- Everyone can read the manifesto during the weekend, and apply changes/suggestions/improvements to it
- During the next meeting, we will discuss all the proposed changes and agree on the definite form

After that, we can take some time to celebrate the joyous occasion by dancing and listening to David Bowie music, and to discuss the future directions of our club.

Dear everyone,

As you all know, there will be another meeting of the club tonight at 20:00. However, although I had promised you a concept manifesto before Saturday, to my regret it has not come out yet, for which I apologize. I have tried to contact Kim, but I couldn’t reach her. Does anyone perhaps know what is going on?

Since we can’t discuss the manifesto tonight, I propose an alternative agenda:
1. We quickly recall the six ‘problems’ that we have now established:
1. Western society does not enable individuals to utilize their own agency to the optimal extent.
2. People of Western society lack a sense of community.
3. People of Western society lack a sense of spirituality or a focus on ‘the soul’.
4. Companies and the people that own them have become too influential, and are not under democratic control.
5. The way of thinking by many people (I might add: the older generations) is rigid: it’s either “yes” or “no” (and more often no than yes), and not both or something in between or something else entirely.
6. Too many people blindly / uncritically follow popular opinion.

2. Starting with problem 1, we start brainstorming sessions to think of as many possible solutions to these problems as we can. I propose we take 10-20 minutes to think of as many solutions individually, and then discuss these with the group.
3. The problems we’ve come up with appear to be complicated. I therefore think we should aim to find solutions for problem 1 tonight only. Writing down the most promising solutions to problem 1 at the end of the discussion will be the end-goal of tonight’s meeting. In the following meeting, we can do problem 2 and so move onward.
4. We come up with a new name for our group, and perhaps a new logo too?

Please let me know if you will be coming tonight and bring some drinks with you when you come!

And remember: we’re doing all this so that we can imagine a future in which we actually feel comfortable—not that miserable bureaucratic society we’re now headed for!